14 June 2010

walk through the mind

of a madman!

Or at least a fellow crazy civil libertarian.

Q1: Already on it. Was marginally more supportive of Obama in part because of extensive civil liberties rhetoric. Almost an epic fail on that issue in actual power. Feels good occasionally to be too cynical and be proven right. Except when you hate being right about it because it means something terrible is happening instead. Oh well. I can continue to throw my votes away on third party candidates all the same. Unless they're Wayne Root.

Q2: Cheney and now Bush as well have basically admitted to ordering torture procedures. Why aren't they being prosecuted for violating statutes against torture?

Q3: "A significant minority of my readership has always been libertarians and other non-progressives who viewed Bush radicalism with serious alarm." - check. I'm sort of progressive (in that I oppose the drug war, have no problem with homosexuality, and have some other obscure views), just not a progressive progressive like Glenn who looks for universal health care systems for example. It amuses me that people look to tribalism still in politics and that things which were okay so long as Bush had control over them are now subject to a mantra of "government takeovers" or some such, and vice versa. The consistent view is that civil liberties are either "good" (which has been my view for a very long time) or they are "bad" (which is an argument I find very difficult to raise, but I'm sure someone could try it). They are not party dependent.

No comments: