19 April 2010

excellent sentences for the day

So suppose you accept that politicians and bureaucrats rarely act in the public interest and that the business of politics is dominated by concentrated-benefit/diffuse-cost interest group rent-seeking. And now suppose we’re approaching a fiscal crisis. What does that add up to? We’re screwed is what.

All arguments in politics when you study the issues involved eventually boil down to something like this: "The public sucks. Fuck hope."

In reality all this attention I pay manages to do very little except to distill a few dribbles of what is actually going on. And I would be better off if I returned to my previous disdain for voting AND just stopped paying attention to boot. I'm not sure that other people would be well served by this.

No comments: