15 October 2009

What is this, the twilight zone?

A bit late to that party, racist buffoon

This has only been illegal for an officer of the government to do for almost 50 years. I'm frankly amazed it even can still come up.

Of course, it would be nice if the government could apply the same logic to homosexuals at some point (as in: the government cannot tell people who they can or cannot marry, within some justifiable limitations such as consent to contract issues). But it's been established practice for decades not to do this crap relating to interracial couples. What. The. Fuck. Happened? I mean, I know this was Louisiana, but the attitudes expressed in this piece don't make any difference to the laws of the country and state. It's not a JP's job to make the laws or to enforce such laws as they see fit. They may express their personal opinion and oppositional views but they cannot carry them out as official state policy. I also love his 99% "statistic". What difference would that make first off, second, who cares, and third, it's not much of an accurate statistic. Even for the state of Louisiana and his jurisdiction. I'm really not sure how that was supposed to appeal to our logic centers to demonstrate that this was not some racist bigot who was elevated to a state office.

I suppose one simple suggestion would be to simply erase the state's involvement in marriage entirely. But I don't think that will be happening any time soon either.

10 comments:

not undecided said...

I hate to think how many people he's turned away who haven't bothered to report it!

Sun Tzu said...

It's obviously been someone (someone who probably reported it) because he was warned by the state AG according to his story about it. Obviously they can just go on down the road to someone else and that may explain the lack of complaints. But that's not supposed to be up to him to create that circumstance in the first place.

not undecided said...

That's true. How can an AG issue a "warning" for such a thing? Seems the AG should be a bit suspect as well.

Sun Tzu said...

It's not clear from this whether he was warned because he previously violated this legal code or because he intended to in the future (and finally did now). I suspect the former. In which case, yes, the AG is suspect as well.

But it is after all Louisiana. They do seem to have a long history with corrupt or otherwise indefensible political figures.

not undecided said...

The scary thing is the complete lack of remorse or understanding that is so the opposite of treating everyone equally. What? I'm not racist, I let them use my bathroom! D'oh.

Bazarov said...

Yeah, I liked that bit: I'm not a racist, I [enter predicate that makes it even more blatant that you are, in fact, a racist here].

Sun Tzu said...

It tends to be sort of hard to prove that one is "not a racist" when the accusation occurs, being as that is often a negative proof.

But when the accusation's proof is provided by one's own actions and words during the attempt to disprove it, it's bizarre. And either tragic or hilarious.

Sun Tzu said...

"Perhaps he's worried the kids will grow up and be president,"

- I love the argument that this is "for the children". Oh by the way, where's the evidence that this is actually a problem for mixed race couples please? That you talked to a bunch of people (ie, other racists?)

not undecided said...

I saw that, it was a nice retort. Everyone has some amount of internalized racism, I think. And the surest sign of a person having no awareness that it's wrong if you bother to think about it is usually their shouting, I'M NOT A RACIST!!

not undecided said...

Or, constantly accusing other people of racism. I'm still not saying his name.