17 October 2009

since I'm on here, more, and more

I am sort of at the same opinion with the HPV vaccine that is reached relating to circumcision. I don't see a problem with recommendation. It's not clear that with women and girls getting this vaccine already at a requirement like level there's enough of a social benefit (in the US) for this to be a requirement imposed on men simply because there is probably a very small, at best, externality or social benefit (as added protection for women) and probably no benefit relative to the opportunity costs for men at all. It's possible for example that there are greater benefits (both for society at large and for women) simply parking more resources in cervical cancer treatments and detection, combined with (improving) vaccinations for women.

The aside point brought up if this were a reversed position relating to testicular cancer is a good one though. That is worth considering what, if any, impact it would have. And whether the altruism involved in the societal benefits of mass scale vaccination campaigns of infectious diseases (many of which DO have very large externality benefits because the diseases themselves are fatal or debilitating and were far more infectious and common) has some value of its own.

Also, as my own aside, all of my postings tonight were done during the Yankees-Angels game. This one right as the Angels took the lead in the 11th inning. It looks like they are playing in a snowstorm in some of the close up shots. It's that cold and rainy.

4 comments:

not undecided said...

So on the aside...is he saying that there'd be no chance that girls would be vaccinated if it were to prevent testicular cancer, or that that would never happen? I must be overthinking this one, because that's still not clear to me.

The altruism required seems like a good thing to encourage, seeing stuff like this - http://www.slate.com/id/2232977/.

But I'm also supremely annoyed with people refusing vaccines for their kids because "it is just my belief" that they aren't safe. Because a kid has allergies. Knock, knock. Hellooooo?

Sun Tzu said...

I think that he thought it's worth discussing, as a thought experiment, if that would come up as a required vaccination or not. And that he wasn't qualified to say whether that would be the case or not based solely on the gender role reversals.

And the problem with the vaccination altruism is the common economic free rider problem. I am definitely on board with men getting this voluntarily. I am on board with the CDC recommending it. I am not convinced yet that it should be "required", in the same way that other vaccinations are.

But I do agree the "it's my belief" exemption needs to be more closely examined or stringently applied. If the child is to be introduced into public or private school settings basically that exemption shouldn't be applicable because "I don't believe they are safe" is not an acceptable answer relative to the costs of not getting them vaccinated, with potentially thousands of people at risk (particularly since the "don't vaccinate my children" communities tend to be clustered together).

not undecided said...

Clear as mud, then. Guess I wasn't missing what he was saying after all.

Yeah, I agree. There doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to make it mandatory, especially when it is still so expensive.

I guess I should clarify that this particular mom was declining only the H1N1 vaccine, not all vaccinations. It's not as completely illogical, but it's illogical in it's own stupidly ironic way. The fact that your kid has never had measles, mumps, or rubella means nothing once some doctor goes on television and says he's not giving it to his own kids, or some scaremongering website states that you won't be able to sue the government if it does cause side effects..? Selfish.

Sun Tzu said...

There will be a post coming up about vaccination generally. But it's really one of the few areas where I count the public risks and the level of harm reduction sufficient to have broad scale government intervention in the form of a mandate. I'm apparently not alone on this one (various libertarian striped people are in approval of this).