17 October 2009

Water. Perfectly safe. Trust us.

Why does it take 3 government agencies to oversee the same water?

I am sort of curious. What was the result or the penalty for airlines or airplanes that failed? Because it sounds like nothing (or at least, they decided to come up with a new rule instead). What's the point of new rules if you won't or didn't enforce the old ones?

And of course, this "cleaning the water" problem would not be a big deal if there were not all these rules about what passengers could bring on an airplane that are at least marginally enforced.
You: not important, rules must/should be applied.
Company: important, rules are optional.

Sounds perfectly in line with our anti-market, pro-business governing style.

5 comments:

AmyMusings said...

The trick is to hydrate yourself really well the day before and morning of your flight. And as we say in Mexico, "Don't drink the water!!" unless it's your own. I have tried countless times to smuggle water in my carry on and haven't gotten away with it. But next time I'm thinking of shoving a bottle up my ass in my underwear.

AmyMusings said...

Hmmm. It wouldn't accept the HTML for crossing it out with a line so I had to settle for blue. Ah, well. Pretend it's crossed out.

not undecided said...

@Amy Blogger has always been weird with strikethrough. It just recently showed up in the post editor. That was funny though!

That was disturbing. I've never noticed them serve anything other than bottled water, but no more plane ice for me, either. The comments were even worse. You always feel disgusting after a flight, but EW. Tray tables and faucet handles and ew ew ew ew ew. I have never really been a hand sanitizer user because I just wash my hands so often, but this might push me over the edge!

Sun Tzu said...

Ach, you're multiplying the commentariat.

I wondered where this was going to go.

And I still don't get the "water bottle is a deadly weapon" as a valid system to dissuade terrorists or whatever bullshit they used to make that a rule. If they're not going to clean the water they give us, then at least let us bring our own. Thanks.

not undecided said...

The commentariat? LOL. How did I...what?

Me either. Has to be one of the stupidest rules ever, and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.