21 January 2009

wasting time

I'm not really sure what the expert setting on Left 4 Dead is for. Because it seems to just be rivers of bullets and zombies. But then, the brutal AI settings on some RTS games seem to be rather similar: streams of tanks and airplanes that harass you until you finally get overwhelmed by more tanks and airplanes in river form. At least this type of game realizes the only way to make it harder is to make more targets than you have guns. Because there's no way to make an AI zombie that's 'smarter', and anyway, programming most AIs consists of algorithmic decision making, or worse, a pre-programmed playbook.

Oh well. It's still funny to set off an alarm and then throw a pipebomb to watch them pile on it to be first to explode regardless of the difficulty setting.

2 comments:

Bazarov said...

Is this too a PC version? I've played it on xbox 360 and it seems to have a lot of potential but for some reason I just can't bring myself to buy it. COD4 seems good enough for me until 6 comes out.

Sun Tzu said...

I tend to use shooters with computers over consoles (easier to hit targets quickly with a mouse...if the wii would get on the shooter bandwagon, that would probably be the best). It has most of its potential with playing with other people I suspect (sort of like Halo was). COD4 is also good.