16 January 2009

tv is not entertaining

This was openly amusing. (obviously, this top bit was from Simmons' column for the playoffs)

"To CBS for the incessant stream of "Grissom leaves 'CSI'" commercials that had me initially saying, "Wait, Marquis Grissom is leaving 'CSI'?" I love that we're supposed to feel emotional because the subdued star of a forensic science show has thoroughly examined every crevice of his last dead hooker. Guys, I think I'm hanging it up. You know my super-expensive microscope that allows me to examine the fibers of hotel room carpets for semen and blood? (Trying not to cry.) Tony, I want you to have it. I can't tell if I missed out by never getting hooked by this show, or if I saved 200 hours of my time that was spent on more important things, like trying to figure out No. 45's stats in the final "Teen Wolf" game. It's a coin flip, really."


Having seen a couple of the various CSI settings and spin-offs, I'm quite sure they're basically like 45 minutes renditions of music videos. There's no apparent importance on plot or reality. The dialogue is just crap. They may as well be soap operas with super-expensive microscopes and some blood spatters. There might be some decent actors on these shows, but they aren't the important part of the show. It seemed as though the montage scene of the guy staring into a microscope intently and picking up little fibers in black lights while re-enacting the death blow of a random and meaningless victim and listening to some recent band's latest 'hit' was the entire premise of the show. Really? That's entertaining to people? It's like TV execs don't even bother anymore.

I think it might well have been more enthralling and suspenseful had they put Marquis Grissom on it to play center field. Wait. That's a baseball game, never mind. This is why I only watch a couple of comedic shows and sports broadcasts. Television is dead. Ding dong, the wicked witch is dead.

No comments: