29 January 2009

circular defense of the revolving door

This guy is awesome

I love the fact that he didn't really bother rebutting the charges against him. And correct me if I'm wrong, but we usually have a system that virtually requires an impeachment of an elected executive even before they're convicted in a court of law (for a sitting President and VP they have to be impeached BEFORE they can even be indicted of wrong doing, and then the trial is conducted in the Senate before there's an actual legal trial...it's a messy business). I suspect it's less of a bother for a Governor, but that doesn't mean the same sort of defense must apply to all cases of political corruption ("Well I'm not a crook" :Nixon folding arms defensively:).

But seriously, should the guy have to be about to be locked up on corruption charges before he's ousted and marginalized by the legislature? I don't understand that line of defense. I haven't been proven of any wrong-doing in a court of law, so I must be innocent. That's not really true. And the types of charges are things people go to jail over, they don't just get a slap on the wrist and get to keep their jobs. I think that merits some serious consideration over whether he should keep his job while on trial. Merely being indicted on such charges is a serious problem as it implies some very serious mishandling of government just for that to have happened.

3 comments:

Bazarov said...

The fact that this guy has brought up MLK, Mandella, and the like, betray what a fuckface this guy really is. I wonder what he'll do once he's been thwarted. Perhaps he'll open up a local restaraunt or gym.

Sun Tzu said...

He did lose his vote unanimously. That was fun but pointless. He should have just resigned.

Did you see the interview he did where he made clear there were no women around when he was cussing up a storm about selling the senate seat? As though the type of language he was using was somehow the guilty action he took here. A good time had by all watching him hang himself a little further.

Bazarov said...

Ha. No, I didn't see that. I'd like to see him a few years from now on one of those 'where are they now' shows on VH1.