04 February 2007

odd coincidence

When I'm checking in on this blogosphere, I pass by a few ad related substances. One has lately been a critique of the origins of Christianity. I'm not suggesting its a pickup on my writings here, but its still a rather amusing coincidence. I just watched the documentary 'jesus camp', which was a rather balanced portrayal of evangelical Christians. Balanced in the sense that the insanity of their behavior was apparently not apparent to the evangelicals themselves; they liked the film. Everyone else found it disturbing. Having children chanting for god to make abortion illegal when they don't have a clue what that whole issue is about seems a might bit like brainwashing. I prefer my people able to think and analyze for themselves, thanks for asking.

I did like the part where one of the pastors who was ranting on about homosexuals was later busted for soliciting sex with an undercover cop.. who was a man. That part wasn't in the film. Daily Show caught that one. Ahh. Good times. It made that part considerably funnier (I know what you did last night!). All in all, much of the problem with religion, any religion, is that people take it too literally. Its not meant to be. It is a guide book. Ever go on a vacation to a national park. They give you a guide book. Are you required to go visit every landmark in there? No, but it makes it a lot easier to get around to the places you want to go. That's the point. Religion makes life easier for some of us. That's fine. I won't argue with those people. But I will argue all of the mythology, and some of the tenets. Have fun with that.

No comments: