09 February 2007

ans does not equal mm

What. the. fuck. Do we have a two second attention span and memory anymore? Since when did Anna Nicole become Marilyn Monroe? Everything we live with and see all the time suddenly is elevated to instant greatness and everything must be compared to the greatness of our past. Well, let me see, when we can't write a new song or movie without remaking or sampling one from the past, we must not have any greatness of our own making. I'm not sure how she can be compared to Marilyn. Or mentioned in the same sentence.

Are there similarities, I suppose so. Died early, lots of attention and fame, media saturation, etc. But Marilyn is a historical figure. Outside of Helen of Troy there isn't a case where a society so enamored itself with a female figure prior to her. Mae and Rita were certainly popular, but not on that level. Most of us I think just wished Anna would go away; the money thing just doesn't bode well for most. I can't say I feel a shred of wow, look at that, that's a tragic event for the country. Sad I guess; people don't generally die that young. But I'm not all that torn up about it. Marilyn had connections to Joe D (a sports icon), JFK (a presidential icon), Arthur Miller (saved him from Mccarthyism). I don't see any kind of contacts like that in Anna's past. She's hardly an icon. Maybe it would help if we had any kind of memory, we'd make some sense of things like this instead of elevating greatness just because we can't find any on our own.

No comments: