22 August 2009

Mutants!

Sleep is the cousin of death

Does not sleeping very much but not getting up early count?

I probably would want less sleep than even what I do get really. 3-4 hours should be enough. At worst, I'd like to get to where I can nap frequently to get that sleep instead of actually retiring for an evening or morning or whatever. It feels rather more useful, as with eating, to do so whenever one is responding to a stimulus to rest rather than at some appointed time. The inverse effect of this is probably the consumption of coffee and its effects on the brain (without even consuming it) to stay awake. I find it's better to just sleep or rest when you get tired than to try to stay awake with stimulants. Naturally, there are occasions where that isn't possible. Driving a car for example. A regular rhythm of sleeping/waking does establish some stimulus to rest, which is fine. It just seems like a waste of time to me.

What I'd be curious about is what caused the genetic change and what, if any, trade-offs there are for not getting more rest and sleep relative to others. It seems like such people are more productive or efficient through the day anyway. What's the downside, any health complications, do non-sleepers/early risers die sooner or something?

4 comments:

not undecided said...

Further study is needed. Also, further sleep.

Bazarov said...

Curious.

Jason said...

This is a very interesting blog that you have here. It's important that their are blogs out there who hold a very strong opinion towards certain issues.

I have a site myself where anyone can freely express their opinion towards controversial issues. I'm telling you this because I believe that you can provide others with some valuable insight towards some issues.

Keep up the good work, and maybe we can do a link exchange.

Sincerely,
Jason

Sun Tzu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.