18 August 2009

Fancy?

Went and saw District 9. Something bugged me during my experience at the theatre. Not the movie itself which was excellent. Anything which deals with the subtext of the concept of "other" and what it allows us to do ethically speaking (horrible things that nobody pauses to think about while they're doing it) while entertaining me with an occasional energy blast that vaporizes an arm or a torso (and does so with a splattering effect of the resulting goo) is worthy piece of art in my opinion.

As I exited, I saw two women gazing in a touristy fashion at the entrance to the movie theatre with a sort of stupendous wonder. Leaving me as I passed them by with the commentary of "This is a fancy schmancy place". Hmmm. Really? A place that people drop gigantic sodas on the floor and order overpriced popcorn drowning in butter is a "fancy" place? The fact that a movie theatre has a bar and grill or serves ice cream in its lobby does not make it a more complicated business venture. Perhaps when movie outings were a special and family occasion, you know, when "moving pictures" were a novelty before TV, they were palaces and regaled visitors and patrons with ornate architecture and trappings of high society. They are not fancy now. No matter how much it costs. There's just too much suspicious stickiness on the floor to clean it up. You can park some comfortable lounge chairs and some plasma TVs outside to disguise it, but it's still a movie theatre. It's still just a dark room with a giant screen once you go inside.

No comments: