14 August 2007

bits of sawdust

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=61b0590f-c5e6-4772-8cd1-2fefe0905363&p=2

Why Canada has so many detractors for this theory I don't know. Even the PM there flat out said it was bull, so I have to wonder. Maybe they educate better skeptics and scientists. Or maybe their population isn't being freaked out by a pattern of substantive news stories designed to create phony tax credits. Want to protect the environment? Plenty of ways to do it. But not that one.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/many_states_expect_people_to_provide_for_themselves_when_they_become_adults/

Another good one. I'm in some agreement that people still receive some help from their families. In my case though, that 'help' was basically limited to co-signed loans because I had a thin file for credit. If a state wants to establish some money to be used in subsidizing first home purchases or college funding for foster kids, so be it. I'm not necessarily crazy about that idea, but I'd prefer that, an active and positive choice by the kid as they reach adulthood, to the alternative of continuing to baby the 'children'. Plenty of parents kick the kids out at or around this point, or at least ship them off to college. The modest trend of helicoptering is occasionally helpful, but annoying. It lacks a desire for self-efficacy. I agree real estate in SF is pretty nuts, so it's probably hard to find a place quick to live in. But still, go forth. Learn, expand, conquer, err, get a job. Do not depend on anyone but yourself as quickly as possible. (I was raised by wolves so trust no one either)

No comments: