12 February 2010

winter olympics are on

For a relative sports fanatic... this is one of those things I don't care all that much about. I watch some hockey. Olympic-rules and competition for hockey is on par with the World Cup for soccer, easily the best you're going to get to see on television. I don't care that much about figure skating. Basically the gymnastics event on ice. Otherwise it's a lot of European sports that Americans/Canadians do but no other continent really bothers with. Skiing isn't very global I guess.

I don't mind watching some snowboarding and skiing, but 2 weeks of it with transparent attempts to gin up nationalistic sentiments in an era of hegemonic foreign affairs (lacking that "do you believe in miracles" element of 1980 against the "evil Soviets"), that's pushing it.

No comments: