09 September 2009

bits and pieces

somebody else's links around


I think there are two factors on the college graduation issue.
1) Lots of people who are in college who have no business being there. I would consider college a waste of time for someone of average intelligence. And there are plenty of such people who end up in a college class room.
2) Even considering we have rapidly expanded the number of "colleges" in the country, this has not kept pace with the number of people seeking to enter a college. The incentive get everyone a college degree in any field seems sort of useless as a result and serves mostly to drive up the cost (cost of higher education has expanded faster than even health care and suffers from the same supposed biases, somebody else is usually perceived as paying for it) by expanding considerably the demand for colleges. Which in turn, reduces the ability of some otherwise qualified intelligent people of finishing their schooling.

And I stick to the self-checkout lanes for groceries. Even when I have dozens of items they never seem to mind (this could be because it's about 2 in the morning when I tend to go grocery shopping for anything other than fresh meats or produce). I don't understand how they find so much variance in credit transactions (I must be underestimating the stupidity of the gene pool again), but I can imagine that cash could go very fast when people are on the ball about it too.

No comments: