13 September 2007

random bits of news

Iran wants "peace and friendship for all," the country's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Wednesday while also saying Israel "cannot continue its life."

I'm confused. How does peace and friendship for all exclude these people over here in a place called Israel/Palestine. It's rather shallow if you ask me. Can't we all just get along.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/12/deportation.cost/index.html

I forget. When did reasonable people suggest we should forcibly deport 12 million people? It's possible to get the 12 million people to leave willfully or at least to apply for legal status; I've outlined various ideas on that subject. Why we needed to study how much it would cost to deport millions of people who'd probably come back the next day anyway (in the absence of a compelling reason not, such as the availability of work) makes no sense to me. I suppose at least it would shut up the most fanatical immigration 'reformers' (people like Tancredo) who want us to go isolationist/xenophobic on the world. Although, 94 billion is chump change in the laws of government spending.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/14099445/detail.html

Good work here. I didn't know guillotines were still in style. Determined people seem to have very grim outlooks on life anymore. I guess we should all be thankful I'm very scattered in energy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/09/12/bc.fbn.bills.everett.sm.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

One of the reasons both to love and hate football: the hits. This one required some nifty surgery techniques. They pumped saline into his body to keep his spine from swelling and killing him, or at least permanently paralyzing him. I wasn't aware of that little trick, but it apparently worked well enough. He's moving a little already. I can recall watching years ago when an OL guy on the Lions was hit and as they carted him off the field he did a thumbs up. The fans loved it. I don't think he ever walked again though.

No comments: