06 September 2007

football fandom, funny fobiles

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=rules/070905

Some of these are funny, even though I myself pay less attention to football. I do however enjoy making light of America's tendency to over-express their collegiate allegiances. I found the following best:

8a - Just because I have to put up with being in Ohio.
9- That 'the' is pretty ridiculous.
15 - I concur. Chinese characters are however words or phrases, usually not letters. But they'd look fine otherwise. OWM is a virtual requirement here also. See also 37-38. The entire painting exercise seems a bit much to me but it should be well-defined to prevent confusion.
25-26 - mostly because I have no idea what a 'song girl' is. Isn't that a pretentious way of saying 'cheerleader'?

Virtually all references to football and drinking amuse me. I can't really get all that excited about either of the two. So there's of course a whole section on tailgating and various drinking rituals associated with football. That's quite funny.

34a) read this, otherwise, the terrorists win.
35) I suspect that's contrary to all laws of human nature for two people from different aspects of a rivalry to meet in polite company and actually like each other personally enough to marry. But this rule certainly would spice things up a bit.
39) I already declared my reaction to this marketing gimmick. It's called D2, or some variation of D-1AA. I don't care that much about football, but I certainly care what people call the divisions. NCAA needs to get off the stupid machine when it comes to names. They tried the regional brackets for a few years with names like 'San Jose' instead of 'West'. It's West, Southeast, East and Midwest, and I don't care if the games are in Chicago; that's not how I'm referring to it.
41c) OSU is persistently overrated; so's everyone else in that list.
42) In pro sports the barely .500 team sucks. Why it's rewarded in college football when most of the wins shouldn't count anyway I don't know. Most of those 6-5 teams are really something like 2-5 or worse. Sending them to the Chia Pet Bowl is not a suitable function of 'winning 6 games'.

Put another way, in college basketball only 65 teams make the post season (not counting nit), and of those really about 40-50 of them are competitive, the other 15 are just happy to be there. There are 336 teams in D1 basketball, but only 120 in D1 football. So the same ratio of bowl eligible teams would be between 16-26. There's roughly double or even triple that number. Fix this and I will care. Put in a playoff and I'll definitely care.
48) Always funny to make fun of SEC schools. Or basically anything from the South. That may as well be another planet.
50) I'd forgotten all about the Iraqi information minister under Saddam. Those were funny times. Almost as funny as the Qaddafi line about destroying America and breaking it's nose. Almost.

No comments: