10 August 2010

Pretty standard really

"It doesn't matter what I do," he answered. "People need to hear what I have to say. There's no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn't matter what I live."

Thanks for clearing that up Newt. You may go now.

I don't particularly care if that's how he wants to live and people keep supporting it. Just seems very strange to say "it doesn't matter how I live", particularly when you support a system and view of politics and lifestyles that implies it should matter very much. And that the excuse is that you are somehow "special" because you can say things. That does make one special I suppose, but it doesn't make the rules (or at least the rules as you think they should be applied) any more special.

It might be one thing if someone fails to live up to their expectations or principles, once in a while through accident or misguided activity. That seems like a human capacity to fall short of something and to misjudge the circumstances and act inappropriately now and then. It is very different when you do serially and deliberately all while claiming the preeminent importance of those principles as they should be applied to other, lesser mortals.

2 comments:

not undecided said...

Yeah, ewww.

Sun Tzu said...

Sadly it doesn't seem like that's a likely cause to get rid of the guy. At least amongst his base of support.