14 March 2010

preliminary bracket thoughts and last top 20

1) Kansas
2) Duke
3) Syracuse
4) Kentucky
As of right now I'm going to go with Kansas. I may pick Duke on a sheet or two depending on the breaks because of some pot odds effects. Syracuse doesn't quite cut it any longer. MOV dropped below critical mass. Kentucky will be the weakest #1 seed and I'll probably pick them to lose in the second round as I stated several months ago. The top 3 have been locked in for weeks.
5) BYU
6) Wisconsin
7) Kansas State
8) West Virginia
All pretty close together. BYU will probably get a 4 seed and lose in the second round. I'm not sure how Syracuse could drop behind West Virginia and I'm pretty sure Ohio State won't be moved up either. Beating Minnesota and Illinois isn't all that impressive really.
9) Ohio State (can't move up that much, or drop that much from the B10 title game)

10) Georgetown
11) Baylor
12) Maryland
13) Purdue (still dropping, I'm not sure they'd make the top 20 right now)
14) Villanova
15) California
16) Texas
Not much to be said here. Georgetown may be on my "early outs" list.
17) Missouri
18) Minnesota
19) Xavier
20) Clemson
21) Utah State
22) Michigan State
23) Texas AM
24) Butler
25) Marquette

Last teams in
18) I'm not sure Minnesota would get in unless they win tomorrow. I obviously think they should. A close game though might be enough.
27) Washington probably wouldn't have gotten in unless they won Saturday, but probably should have.
40) Virginia Tech probably shouldn't get in, because they have few good games much less wins on their schedule, but will.
41) Arizona State is done.
45) Mississippi State probably should get in, but probably won't unless they win tomorrow (or make a good showing). I have them as the last at large team on my list if they don't win tomorrow. That doesn't mean that I'd pick them as the last at large team.
48) Richmond is in. But if it were up to the best at large teams on my sheet, they'd be the first one out. I'd still take them.
49) Wake Forest is right behind Richmond on the uninspiring teams list that have managed some good enough wins to get in.
51) Memphis, done
52) Mississippi, done
53) Dayton, done
56) Illinois, might have a shot because of their peculiarly strong resume wins against good teams. But New Mexico State winning probably killed it (along with the low profile otherwise). Mississippi State might officially kill their bid.
57) Miami (FL), needed to win out in the ACC.
58) VCU, done a while ago. But this is probably a surprisingly high rating
59) Seton Hall, why they're still on the last four out rating anywhere is beyond comprehension.

It looks like the committee will have to do alternate brackets in the event Minnesota wins or at least has yet another close loss. They'll have time to accommodate Mississippi State.

No comments: