28 November 2008

report from the front

Shopping/holiday season is going to bomb. Or else they're going to need much better sales as it goes along. It was possible to walk straight into Best Buy within 10 minutes of it's opening, and possible then to walk around in the store without impediment, then possible to find most anything still (except the very best deals on high end items). Usually that 10 minute frenzy means the next wave is picking over the bones already. There was a TV crew setting up, but since they had room to setup and no one was throwing anything over their heads, I'd be worried their copy will be more alarmist than mine.

This was quite a bit more pathetic than what I am accustomed to as a contact sport of black friday ad fulfillment. I may have had to go to Wal-Mart to experience the full fury, but that is a rather risky proposition. Risky as in physical injury or hospital trips become more than likely. Not as in I didn't find what I wanted while jostling with dozens of overweight parents screaming over something or other.

On the plus side, I added 6 DVDs with an average imdb score over 8.0 to my collection for under $30. I'd say I'm satisfied with my shopping spree (if I could have found "Das Boot" more easily I'd have been more satisfied. That was less fun). The new TV will wait.

I suppose I could also point out here that I'm in the enviable position of not carrying any debts right now, so I'm less screwed than most Americans (or globally speaking, just about anyone), and so buying stuff is actually an improvement over my normal habits of sitting on and not spending money (or investing it).

Edit: I was not kidding about the Wal-Mart injury risks, but apparently I was all too predictive. In this case, a death was caused by the frenzy of shoppers BREAKING down the doors and charging in. Sounds pretty normal apart from the trampling of a human being (or several).

2 comments:

Bazarov said...

Silly. If it weren't for the shit going down in India, I would've paid more attention to the shopping stampedes. I miss the good ole days when no one died, when soccer moms just punched each other in the face for that last Tickle Me Elmo doll. Sigh.

Sun Tzu said...

There was supposedly some of that still. I was in and out like some sort of elite commando unit. I actually had a couple moments where I had time to stand and stare at nothing during what should have been a major ongoing swirling ball of chaos, but then I remembered I hate shopping and left.

I may have something to say on India when I know more about who did it. The how and what wasn't too surprising or terrifying. People have been able to attack malls or hotels for decades with automatic weapons or explosives. It was the training and organization that makes this one unique.