04 November 2008

election results prognostication

I'd recommend fivethirtyeight.com/
The guy running it (Nate Silver) is a baseball stat-head (like me only with a lot more mathematical statistical adjustments than I make). I'd say someone who spends all day during the baseball season running around playing with numbers and making projections based on them is on pretty solid ground to make predictive stabs and analyze statistical polling data (for the inherent skew). I made a much less statistical call back 3 months ago or so with what appears to be the same result. Though I did base it on the statistical value of libertarian type voters in western states. Specifically those fed up with the Bush policies of invasion of privacy, non-existent fiscal controls, and a silly two-front war (in Asia... never, ever fight a land war in Asia). Anyway, Obama has now a 99% victory chance. And the Senate will stay out of the 60-40 territory. If anyone cares.

Also, as a literary fellow I found this was included for people who volunteered and worked on the election in one of their posts today. While it does conjure up Easy Company (and it is a speech on war), it is perhaps fitting given the long and arduous campaign. We really need to re-do these election seasons so they only last about a month. For myself, I lost interest until the silly lady showed up to screw up the plan for intelligent and attractive women to dominate the world. Not a good idea to piss off women, especially when Palin is one. As an anti-social male, even I know better than to draw the ire of a lady.

That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

-- William Shakespeare, Henry the DXXXVIII

I don't personally care who wins. I will be playing Fallout 3 all evening instead of watching anything. Let me know tomorrow morning when it's all over. Or preferably let me know how the FCC case goes in the Supreme Court.

2 comments:

Bazarov said...

Fallout 3, eh? I'm far too needy of instant gratification to play rpgs. However, I did download some gameplay videos and I did like the fact you could blow off limbs with a rail gun and watch them get stuck into the wall behind the victim. That, I will have to admit, was pretty cool. So what are you playing on? PC? Xbox360? PS3?
I myself am a hopeless COD2 and COD4 fan (more of the latter since that came out...3 was an abomination, much as I fear 5 will be since it's from the same manufacturers). I predict much time spent on GOW2 when that comes out next week as well.

Sun Tzu said...

I'm on PC. I've seen it on X360 and wasn't much different. They got around the 'I need a bigger gun' problem by letting you use a bazooka pretty early on...but they breakdown or are troublesome to reload (ie, jams) in combat until you fix it up. And you can still blow a head completely off with a regular rifle.

Aside from some pesky defiance of physics where I'll blow off a limb and it would fly towards (or even past) me, it's done quite well on gore. Fallout's always done well with the splattery death.