23 August 2008

midnight basketball

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/basketball/men/playbyplay?gameId=834

We probably taught a few super criminals to function without sleep by airing the basketball gold medal game at 2:30am, but it was definitely worth staying up for. Nobody played defense consistently making for a nice high scoring romp. Spain finally figured out they needed to zone in the second half but really only got a couple of decent runs together. Good game however.

In other Olympic events, I was impressed more by Bolt more than Phelps. I think that's probably because I was expecting Phelps to win, and generally to dominate. He obviously tired somewhat as the Games went on but there really wasn't ever any doubt (except maybe in the 100m that he barely won). Bolt was insane. I've never seen anyone dominate sprints so completely (at least since Johnson ran the 200m). There wasn't even anyone in the picture in a race where everyone finishes within a few seconds of each other. That's scary fast.

I am reminded of the Seinfeld routine on silver medal winners. (that picture where the guy is leaning in and cheering, I'm that other guy...)

No comments: