04 September 2008

frolf

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2008/09/summer-of-steve.html

No, that's not me or another blog of mine. We Steves tend to all be annoying political pundits of some vein or another... That one at least is aware that Georgia invaded Russia first (as apparently John McCain was not during his speech tonight).
Since I had on occasion had debates over what to refer to Frisbee golf as, because that's clearly not a snappy or short enough title...this seems like a good start: Frolf. F-Golf just suggests derision with the game (or it's alternate titling system). Golf suggests something different to people unfamiliar with this alternative. Frisbee suggests a hippie commune (based on having been called a hippie by a past neighbour for throwing around a Frisbee in the common yard area, an activity he joined in with). This by contrast is a distinct 'word'.

I imagine the idea that someone should be marketing specially manufactured towels for that specific purpose of wiping sweat, grass, dirt, etc off of Frisbee discs after each throw hasn't occurred to anyone. It's probably a good thing. The activity already has grown to resemble a cross between 'cheaper competitive version of golf' and 'stoner past time'. I'm not sure what that makes it, because it's not physically intense enough to be on the X-games anytime soon like snowboarding vs skiing was. I suppose it resembles a pick-up basketball game with the usual mishmash of people who are ultra competitive and just looking for something marginally athletic to focus their energy into and people just looking to socialize while participating in exercise. I found it entertaining at least, but I haven't gone and sunk money into my own set of discs and a large bag to carry them. I'm either too broke or too cheap.

I can't recall very many women playing it from my own excursions (I imagine there's a similar dynamic to playing golf, something I have done much, much less of). While I'm fairly sure the differences of competitive intensity and social interaction to celebrate as such aren't quite as stark as monastic men in focused intensity vs jovial women in carefree endeavours, there's probably a reason that there are fewer women playing these types of individual sports. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if it were otherwise.

No comments: