04 December 2007

yell out fire next time

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/12/04/blog.arrest.ap/index.html

We do have some interesting things that come out as a result of free speech. I'm not in favor of going down the hallways firing at the fleeing teachers and executing the standing ones. So I think the O.P. as a sarcastic tone was a bit much. But I'm quite confident many teachers are lazy and ineffective. I've seen them.

That said, we do need some wiggle room on free speech. Sarcasm and dark comedy as well as blunt language and sexual innuendo (overt or otherwise) are not only not permitted and censored, but apparently a cause for detainment. I have no problem with someone taking the point of view of their opponents in an argument/debate and extending it to a radical view to make light of it or otherwise make a point.

Now as to why someone else didn't recognize this.. probably because they suffered through the same educational system that I'm calling out on a regular basis. It's not really the police's fault when someone files a complaint. Sort of, they could use some common sense as well. But in the trigger happy news environs we live in now, it's hard not to take such things with some seriousness as a public official. I blame the lazy view that such statements are posing direct threat rather than being an annoyance for other extremist views.

No comments: