06 March 2009

Good joke

"Heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains."

I always liked that one. There isn't a need to laugh uproariously. But an invisible smirk suffices.

I was reminded twice today I was still human. Once when someone asked me if I had to work this weekend. To which I replied, no, I don't have to work. Even though I do have work that can be done. I'm not sure she understood my reply. But then I have a funny way of noticing the little twists that people put into their words that they never imagined were there.

Secondly I was asked why I looked so mad. "I have no other visage to present". And besides, I already used up my grin quota for the week on Rorschach's joke and my little play with words earlier. It occurred to me, since I was getting food at the time, that I was busily contemplating the path of civilization back from the cultivation of corn and wheat to where it now presented our society with a need for people of impossibly sunny dispositions to work in jobs providing food to others while they cultivate that skill for some later achievement. But I didn't feel like spoiling her mood either by explaining the path on which these things work. I settled for "Smiling isn't good for you". I'm not sure this one gets through to people either. It seems to me that having my smile coaxed out isn't something that dredges up a good persona on which they'd relate to anyway. It's not that her smiling is bad, but that me smiling at other people is. But then, that's much too long a conversation to have with some one who is just supposed to give me my change and demand I have a good day.

And it doesn't translate anyway.

4 comments:

not undecided said...

Why do I want to just leave a big string of emoticons? hee. I do hope your quota for the genuine smiles is flexible.

Sun Tzu said...

I don't actually track it of course. But I do spend most of the day with a locked expression holding a thousand yard gaze on some topic or other. If I'm noticing people around me, it's a difficult task to hold my attention long enough to smile outward.

At least this seems to be the case around random people who I am around without my immediate choice in the matter.

Bazarov said...

Reminds me of the Carlin bit about someone telling you "to have a good day." Among other things, what pressure!
I think I smile enough to have lines on my face from it, and around close friends I am quite at ease and smiley. However, my neutral face seems to be that of a cold serial killer and I get some odd looks sometimes, which, in turn, makes me smile on the inside.

Sun Tzu said...

I've been referred to as a sociopath or the only person some people know who could probably kill another person. This is only halfway amusing and worth a private smile. The other half, I'm not so sure this is complimentary or intended as such. It does however serve its semi-intended purpose of keeping the riff-raff out of my thoughts.

I think Carlin did the riff on "have a nice day"..... "that's the trouble with "have a nice day" it puts all the pressure on YOU. Now you've got to go out and somehow have a good time..... Have someone wish me a crappy day. There's no planning involved. All you gotta do is get up some mornings. "Have a crappy day"."