06 May 2008

train wrecks

So I have decided that I need to reclassify a complaint of mine, and firmly held at that.
I have long railed against the coverage of train wrecks, airplane crashes and so forth. And likewise I have long complained of the coverage of the likes of Spears, Lohan, Hilton, et al.

I realize now they're actually train wrecks, only much slower, complete with various emergencies, and infinitely more boring to behold. At least with a wreck there is wreckage, tragedies of lost lives and shattered items. These wrecks of human beings seem to presume upon us the viewer that there was something to be lost or squandered. There is little enough of that, not even the promising innocence of youth can be leveled at these common news cretins. I'm not totally sure what all the ado has been about, but at least I know what to call it.

In other news: 20000+ people died in a cyclone in Myanmar (Burma to those few who can remember maps of elder days). I should think this a measure far more important, even though it happened around a week ago.A country already in some bitter turmoil over military control of it's government now has the twin specter of violent natural phenomenon to go with it this prior grievance. One can presume much more turmoil in the weeks ahead and of much greater importance, even as that land lays across the globe. As train wrecks go, I can think of few that I would rather know of, and few that I have heard less of in favor of these other: CNN's listing of headlines does not even list news of this tragedy until 9th (after the outcome of a celebrity stalker trial).

I'm beginning to think that news organizations should simply distinguish between actual news and the pale ale that substitutes for it in the form of celebrity culture worship.Such discrimination would allow the more learned of our nation to learn meaningful and important events of the day undisturbed by the news of a polygamist cult and the various comings and goings of celebrity train wrecks (and vice versa for those less intended folk who seem to make up in numbers what they lack in taste). I should think there is plenty of advertising money available from the coverage of meaningless events that money could be presented for real news journalism again. Perhaps I dream too mightily.

In turn for this favor, I should request the idea (not mine, but still sensible precaution) that at time of voting an offer be extended to each voter. They may have their vote or a collection of 10 lottery tickets. The peoples who have faithfully attended their time to the gossip and squalor of our time will undoubtedly choose poorly in exercise of their rights and we would not be long inclined to suffer them.

No comments: